Sunday, February 1, 2009

Horn: Writing with A Future

Horn, Robert. What Kinds of Writing Have a Future?
(Speech prepared in connection with receiving Lifetime Achievement Award
by the Association of Computing Machinery SIGDOC,October 22, 2001)

Brief and clearly written overview/introduction to IM and structured writing.
Summarized well here from the end of his presentation:
Summary
1. Pay attention to types of stickiness.
2. Make sure you know what you’re putting in and leaving out..
3. Write so people don’t have to read what you write (if they don’t need to).
4. Label every chunk.
5. Don’t always write in a linear fashion.
6. WYSIWYG is not quite dead – but threats to its existence in some parts are looming.
7. Use visual language. Change the ratio of images to words.


I do not know if I'll use this in my diss or classes, but I do like having the overview and exposure.

I need to think about this a lot. My mind is caught on the chunking of information, labeling of chunks, and organizing. My instinct tells me that is the way to go.

Interesting mentioned article to get:
Stern, Arthur A. “When is a paragraph?”

No comments: