Saturday, October 25, 2008

Initial Post

On Wednesday, October 22nd, I learned that I was admitted to Texas Tech's PhD program in Technical Communication and Rhetoric.  Since that point, I've been perpetually giddy.

One of my biggest challenges is to remain organized and to continually reflect on what I am doing.  So, I am applying some of the work I have been doing so far with blogs and adding the influence of Michael Faris' approach as well.  Michael has continually written, posted, and documented his graduate process through his MA and now in his PhD work.  While I do not intend to organize exactly as he has done, I am going to follow the rough model of attempting to keep as much stuff online as possible for several reasons.

First, my papers end up in stacks and piles.  Filing cabinets are not a part of my world, and it is easier to search digitally than any other way.  Need: generate and apply an effective system of tagging, searching, and locating.

Second, I believe in sharing learning.  I have learned from Michael, Nils, Peter, and lots of folks in the field.  They inspired me by their honesty and generosity, so I determined to share what it is I do and how I do it.  Hopefully it will help someone in the future avoid some trouble or stress.

Third, if I really want to be a tech writing guy I must perform tech writing and work in a tech environment.  There is no getting around it.  Put up or shut up, and so I am putting up.

Fourth, I believe in the process of documentation.  I have journaled for over a decade, blogged, written notes on cards, and have heaps of text and memories stored in a variety of places.  I love to write.  This project is yet another excuse for me to write.

Fifth, it is an opportunity for me to learn.

Sixth, this is about as close as I can get to sharing/engaging in public think aloud protocols of the PhD process.  

Seventh, what a great excuse to network!

Finally, I love writing and blogging.  It is fun.

No comments: