Sunday, June 28, 2009

More Fitness Video Captions

I've selected two more fitness-related videos to caption. They are both Sonnon videos. Like my initial project, I've selected these because I am using parts of his system, and I find personal investment to be a strong motivator. Additionally, I'm working with material which interests and educates me in things I care about.

The first video centers on some of the basic principles of working with clubbells. I selected this because it provides basic clubbell concepts/principles, I've never worked with clubbells, and generating captioned material around basic or foundational principles is a means to introduce a broader audience to material than focusing on high-end or specialized knowledge. If folks can't get the basics, what chance is there that they'll bother to look at the advanced materials. Here it is:





The second video is a direct motivational training blog. This blog had low-audio levels, and I think that may have inhibited the number of people who listened to the whole thing. Additionally, I am interested in motivational speaking as well as fitness training; transcribing this presentation proved interesting.



I've also found that I can transcribe pretty solid drafts at about 20 words per minute when the speaking is consistent. Not bad--at least from my view. I haven't been doing this too long, so I'm happy with the progress I've made today. I am not sure when I will have time to work on the next couple stages. However, I am glad that I've started both of these. Clocking the basic caption time frames is the next phase.

My theoretical grounding for these actions is this: if I, a pretty busy doctoral student and teacher with limited tech savvy can be guided through the initial stages of captioning and end up, after about 10-20 hours of solid work and effort, able to fly solo and caption material, then others can go through the same effort. Rather than having captioning appear or seem to be out of the reach of others, by generating and working on the materials, we can make it much more real. And if we do this on a variety of content--not just the most popular content, but content we care about--we will hopefully connect with other viewers and readers who are equally interested and engaged in the material. Then, perhaps, a few of them will decide that they, too, want to work on the same project and join in.

Who knows. But I do like the idea that my efforts benefit others as well as myself and contribute to my professional, educational, ethical, and physical development all with one activity. That is sweet.

No comments: