Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lit Review & Paper Themes

I have done some preliminary research and thinking about some of the different topics I am interested in exploring, and the similarity in the assignments--lit reviews and papers--offers a good chance for me to explore the eclectic that I have in some potentially interesting ways.

For example, the discourse around protocol as method or technology in Galloway & Thacker interests me. That seems like a pretty theoretical approach, and I think that would operate well for Joyce's class.

For Barker's reports, the genetic engineering IPO report genre appears to be the most viable. I am curious around the language, rhetoric, and representation of science in those reports since they are able to persuade people to give millions of dollars to a start-up company, so that is pretty fascinating.

Baehr's class has me at a bit of a loss, but I know that I want to focus on information organization. In class, he suggested that I look into the publication management class, but I do not know that I will have time for that. However, I wonder if it is possible to look at the use of flow or organizational charts in information design or knowledge creation. This interests me for two reasons: first, I like the entire process/discourse surrounding knowledge creations; second, I think that I could use those kinds of charts/maps in order for me to better understand my own writing and thinking process.

Rickly's class and those research classes still throw my thinking, but I regard that as a good thing. Honestly, if I felt on the ball everywhere, I'd be a bit concerned. As it sits, I feel a great deal of comfort and payoff for spending hours in the library, doing lots of thinking and research, and engaging in a variety of puttering around. That extra 15-25 hours of thinking has helped.

Lest there be any oversight or omission, the nearly three hours talking to Sean, the almost two hours with Brian, and then the six pints of Guinness & Irish Car Bomb while chatting with colleagues and Joyce all helped. That kind of rigorous exchange and engagement is addicting and very, very productive. I am not sure what will result from all of that, but I know that it has forced me to think in different ways.

No comments: