Thursday, August 27, 2009

Research Intersections

When I look for texts--online, in the library, wandering around--what I know about other people impacts what I find and what I notice. Things pop up because I pay attention, and this certainly helps me learn.

Piece of evidence one:
In Barker's class, Bailey mentioned an interest in writing military manuals. On the WPA list, I found a link to this article about the Wikification of military manual writing.

Piece of evidence two:
In the past couple days I met Matt, a new MA student in TTU's TCR program. He rides a fixie. I just bumped into a video about artistic cycling after following Peek-related links. Here it is:



Piece of evidence three:
In Joyce's class and in Baehr's class we discussed identity. From the WPA list, I found a link to this MIT project which visually represents your online identity to you after you enter your name. It's called Persona. Go here to test it out.

Finally, this morning, I was looking at books in the library's new section. Andrew, who's in Barker's class and Joyce's class, talked about doing work with audio. I came across the book Cracked Media. Yes, it's all about audio and the intentional corruption of sound and sound media.

Sure, it's coincidence. A lot of them. However, this is exactly why I like to know what my colleagues are researching: it helps me remain alert and attentive for the potential items which may appear in my experience. It doesn't work on command, but it certainly keeps me on my toes and alert.

No comments: